Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pregnancy through rape: Some Cameroonians prefer to keep the child while others prefer abortion


Whatever the case abortion is illegal in Cameroon and punishable by law

By Francise N. Njila

Staff Writer, Prince Report.

Abortion is illegal in Cameroon and punishable against the law. But a vox pop conducted recently by the Herald news paper on what to do if impregnated through rape indicated that some women do subscribe to it. Though the majority of women contacted say they would keep the pregnancy because aborting it would be sinful others, however, said they would not because a child resulting from such a pregnancy would never bring joy to its mother for obvious reasons.
It is true that rape is one of the most horrible things that could happen to a girl, especially when she is impregnated in the process. But if such a thing were to happen to me I would give a second thought to it before taking any decision”, says Flora. “The Bible says that children are a gift and heritage from God. If you abort, it means you have committed a double crime, that is, eliminating the gift of God and murder. I would rather pray for God’s protection on the child and also beg Him to change the life of the man who did such a thing to me” she added.
But Ma Angeline differs strongly. Hera her “Abort it immediately. I don’t think that there is room for a second thought on whether not to keep a pregnancy resulting from rape. Without any waste of time I would do away with the pregnancy because children born in such circumstances hardly show respect. Secondly, if I keep such a child I would for ever be traumatised, especially when I see it.”
Though Flora and Ma Angeline we very specific others were undecided and believe they could only make their decision when it happens. But however, accepted that both abortion and rape were not something to think off. “I can only take a decision on whether to abort or keep the pregnancy when it must have happened” says Ngweni Lilian, Adding “I also know that both rape and abortion are bad and traumatizing, especially when it results in pregnancy. I love children, but if such were to happen I would see the reaction of my friends and family members before deciding what to do.”
In a debate like this, God has a place. And Adama Clara, strongly believe in him (God). “If I were impregnated through rape, I would surely feel bad but would not abort the pregnancy” intimated Adama, who says she want children, no matter from where and how they come. “One cannot tell from the onset the destiny of such a child. Some would say nothing good could come out of the child, but to me only God decides. It is not because the father of the child is a thief or rapist that the child would be same” Adama who promised to keep the pregnancy and pray to God, concluded.


Sphere: Related Content

No comments: